I've been thinking about starting this separate blog ever since I stumbled on a few other running and exercise blogs. If nothing else, it will help me keep track of what I'm doing and the results. I'm still struggling with about 10 pounds (and more important to me, a few inches around the middle) since my third child was born 2 years ago, so I will be chronicling my adventures in other things (diet and exercise) besides running. But, running is my favorite, and that's where I hope to see the biggest result (hopefully the inches will disappear as the minutes and seconds do from my race times!).
Today I ran a 10k. My goal was to race it, and have an accurate time to plug into the Smart Coach program at RunnersWorld.com for my half-marathon training schedule. I was hoping to come in about 52:00. My time was 53:24 (I'm going with my stopwatch time, which started when I crossed the starting line). Not too bad, but I was hoping to be faster. Not that I can really expect to be faster when I haven't been training for it.
I was conservative in the first mile, my split was just under 9 minutes. Then I started picking off the skirts (you know, ladies wearing those funny running skirts). Nothing personal (although I don't see the point), but I needed something to focus on. Just after mile 2, the 5k runners turned back to the start/finish. And I think maybe everyone just slowed down. My 3 mile time was way slower than it should have been- just over 27 minutes- and I was still passing people. I picked it up a bit at that point, then some more at the 4 mile marker. There was an unexpected hill before mile 5, but I did OK on that (not great, but OK). I was starting to wonder if I had picked up my pace too much too soon before I got to the mile 6 marker. I also wondered where all the other women runners were, I thought there would be more people around my "middle-of-the-pack" pace. There weren't many, and most were guys. I really find that odd, because I know I'm not that fast. I picked it up some more, and passed one more lady. Just before the finish, I heard a guy I had passed coming up fast behind me and I actually held him off! That was probably the highlight of the race (and an indicator that I had taken it too easy earlier in the race), since I have never had much of a kick at the end of a race.
It might have been easier to gauge my pace if the 10k had been completely separate from the 5k, but I think mostly it was nerves and lack of recent racing experience that held me back a bit from my goal.
I'd really like to run the half marathon on Labor Day close to 1:45, but I'm not sure that's a realistic goal, given I can't even run a 10k at that pace right now. My more realistic, but still a stretch, goal is 1:50. I'm trying to decide between Smart Coach and FIRST for my training program. Both include speed work, I think Smart Coach is probably more realistic for me right now, although the easy and long runs have me running RIDICULOUSLY slow- almost 10:30 pace! I have a week to decide, since my training won't start until June 28th (because Scott will be out of town all next week and I have neither baby-sitter or treadmill yet in our new home). So, 10 weeks of training. I guess I should also make note here that a 1:45 half marathon is just part of my larger qualify-for-Boston full marathon goal. Right now, I don't see myself doing any marathons for a few more years (ie. done having kids, done nursing, etc.)
I'm also starting Chalean Extreme that week. Next week will be my time to plan and prepare schedule, menu, and shopping list. It's crossed my mind that maybe I shouldn't worry about a training schedule that has a lot of speed work when I'm starting a new exercise program ontop of running already. Especially given that I may be pregnant soon, should I commit myself to the speed work? I think I'm mostly afraid of the speedwork and looking for excuses. So, I'm committing to speedwork until I'm pregnant, then I'll just focus on the miles and Chalean Extreme (maybe modify or forget the diet?).
Pregnancy will not keep me from running the half. I may be slow, but I'll be there. I felt so much better during Andrew's pregnancy and I think a lot of that had to do with being more committed to running and exercise. (It was easier in Hawaii than South Dakota, I know, just an excuse.) That's one of my favorite thing about our new location is access to more running events, and our new house has more room for exercise. My goal is to add a treadmill and a rowing machine or stationary bike before winter hits. I've debated for a long time on what to add. A treadmill is almost a necessity if you want to be a consistent runner. The gym is great, but when your little kid has a runny nose that keeps him from going to the childcare, you miss your workout time. But, its not much of a cross-trainer. A bike would be good, but I don't know if I can be motivated to do that by myself all the time. A rowing machine, now that sounds fun. I haven't used one very much, but its a fantastic full-body workout, and definitely counts for cross-training. So, that's my plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment