If you've been invited to read this blog, please understand that I don't edit as much as in our family blog. The primary purpose of this is for me to see my progress, think through what I've done, and evaluate how to adjust things. Often, what you read is almost a stream of thought with little or no filter. So, you're likely to read things you may consider TMI. And you're likely to read things that, while I was thinking at the time I wrote the post, aren't totally accurate. Consider yourself warned ;)































Saturday, July 3, 2010

First week of training

The Plan:

I decided to go with SmartCoach for my half-training.  It doesn't look as agressive (a tempo OR track workout each week), and I don't think it will get me to a 1:50 finish time in September.  But, I don't think I was really ready for FIRST, which has a tempo and a track work out every week.  While I'm doing all this running, I am only doing the weights and abs for ChaLEAN.  I'm also following the diet, but I think I should add more carbs on the day of my tempo/speed workout and the long run day, or maybe the day before.  I want to stay close to it though, as I am pretty sure diet is the place I need to improve the most. 

Week 1 Report:

Overall I was really dragging this week, I'm hoping it was PMS, since I also had a hard time with the diet (I may have added several handfuls of chocolate-covered almonds for 2 or 3 days).  I really like the diet foods.  I was a little intimidated at first, looking at the new recipes, but so far, they have been pretty simple and quick to prepare.  And, the kids have liked them more than I thought (not the cooked greens, but we've started green smoothies to help them get some of that).

Here's how it went:

Monday: 5 mile run with a 3 mile tempo (8:53 pace).  Wow!  Keeping a constant pace with all the hills and varying surfaces around here was tough, overall I ran faster than I was 'supposed to.'  My pace for the tempo averaged about 8:35.  Next time I think I'll just use the Garmin on the tempo part, or use the lap feature.

Tuesday: ChaLEAN Burn Circuit 1, felt good, I thought I was taking it kind of easy on some of it.  But, I was a feeling that shaky weak feeling for a while that morning, so not as easy as I thought.  I think I'll get more out of it as I become more familiar with the moves.  I also walked about 6 miles with some ladies from the ward.  I was really wasted after that- not sure it was the sun or what.  (This was also the first 'PMS' day.)

Wednesday: Easy 2 miles.  I don't run the 10:15 pace that SmartCoach recommends, but I try really hard to make sure it feels 'easy'.

Thursday: ChaLEAN Burn Circuit 2, hamstrings were still tight from Tuesday, but it was good.  I need to remember to get my chart and keep track of my weights.  Walked about 4 miles today with the walking group.  Felt much better than Tuesday.

Friday: 7 'easy' miles.  I think I ran more than that, because I messed up using my Garmin.  But, when I tried to map it on map my run, it was still pretty close to seven (there was a chunk of it on trails- hard to see even on the hybrid map, so I had to guess a bit on that).  In any case, the last 2 miles or so were TOUGH.  Again, I'm chalking it up to a combination of starting weights this week, and PMS.  Plus, I started later than I should have (Scott had the day off), so there was more sun and the temp was higher.  It was also the first time I tried out my hand-strap water-bottle that I got for mother's day.  I think I like it.

Saturday: 2 'easy' miles.  ChaLEAN Burn Circuit 3 & Ab Burner.  I forgot to add in the other Ab day.  It was definitely tough.  I am very weak in my abs.  I think I may try doing abs before the weights next week.

I haven't weighed or measured yet, so I better get that done tomorrow (I think Sunday morning will be a good time since I don't do a workout that day), so I can record my results.  But, making this report IS helping with my motivation.

******measurements: Sun. 4 July 2010*******
149 lbs.
32.8% body fat (I really don't think its this high, but whatever, I'll just measure change)
chest: 39 in.
waist: 36.5 in. (this is where I want to see the numbers change the most!) measured at belly button, I think I should have done my 'natural waist'- maybe next time I'll do both.
hip: 40 in.
bicep: 10.5 in.
thigh: 20 in.
(and I started my period this morning, so looks like I was right about PMS)

No comments:

Post a Comment