If you've been invited to read this blog, please understand that I don't edit as much as in our family blog. The primary purpose of this is for me to see my progress, think through what I've done, and evaluate how to adjust things. Often, what you read is almost a stream of thought with little or no filter. So, you're likely to read things you may consider TMI. And you're likely to read things that, while I was thinking at the time I wrote the post, aren't totally accurate. Consider yourself warned ;)































Saturday, October 6, 2012

Becoming a non-runner

...at least for the month of October.  I've had problems with my right hip since before Charis was born.  I finally went to an A.R.T. trained chiropractor this past spring, and was able to resolve it about 95% in 3-4 visits.  (I think maybe I should have gone one more time, and I might go again. I also could be more diligent with the foam roller.)  I finally got up into double-digit runs again over the summer.  I have a friend who did her first half-marathon the same day that Scott did his full marathon (Labor Day ADT).  I ran with her and did a 10-miler a couple weeks later.  I had gotten into a good routine (I thought) of 3 runs per week: 1 speed or tempo, 1 easy/medium, 1 long.    Then I did Pilates twice a week and one of the Chalene extreme videos for cross training once a week.  I tried adding weights, but I felt like it was too much for my body, and decided to put the weights off until after the half I registered for on Oct. 6.

Then in mid-Sept (the week leading up to Eden's birthday), I took Jake and Charis to Cottonwood Creek and did about 45 minutes on the trail.  It felt kind of hard, because I hadn't been pushing the stroller very often.  That was a Thursday.  The next day my right foot kind of hurt, and it got bad enough that I decided to skip my long run on Saturday, I knew I would already be spending most of the day on my feet because we were celebrating Eden's birthday and taking her to the aquarium in Denver.  I put on an elastic ankle brace that I have, hoping it would help.  It didn't seem to help, but it didn't make it worse, at least I thought.  Sunday it was still sore and by that afternoon I really couldn't put weight on it.  I was pretty concerned because Scott had to leave for the week.  I iced it and kept it up as much as I could on Sunday and Monday.  By Tuesday it was feeling better, but still sore.  I did some research and think I may have some kind of tendonitis around the cuboid, and it may even be out of alignment.  I decided I should rule out a stress fracture, because you're supposed to do that before manipulating the bones, and because of how badly it hurt on Sunday.   So, I went to the doctor, had  an X-ray and a bone scan, and missed my last scheduled long run.

I tried 2 miles with the double stroller and my foot still hurt!  So, I decided to skip the half marathon and do some aqua jogging and swimming instead.   My hip also had started up again, but its not as bad as it used to be and has also gotten better since I stopped running.  My plan now is to do water stuff 2-3 times a week, and pilates/yoga 3 times per week.  Then after about a month, try adding in some weight-bearing cross-training and strengthening.  Then start on the running again.  We'll see how it goes.

It's been frustrating because I got so far, to the point that I was ready to run a half-marathon, and now I have to start all over.  But, I am hoping this will give my right side (I'm thinking the right hip, right foot thing is connected), the break it needs.  And hopefully with this fresh start, I'll be able to start training hard again by spring 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment