If you've been invited to read this blog, please understand that I don't edit as much as in our family blog. The primary purpose of this is for me to see my progress, think through what I've done, and evaluate how to adjust things. Often, what you read is almost a stream of thought with little or no filter. So, you're likely to read things you may consider TMI. And you're likely to read things that, while I was thinking at the time I wrote the post, aren't totally accurate. Consider yourself warned ;)































Sunday, January 16, 2011

So....

...not consistent with this log.  Oh well.  I planned to take time off starting the week of Christmas.  I ended up starting my time off a little early while we were in California.  I ran once in Vallejo- beautiful!  But, couldn't bring myself to run while we were in Sonora, since it was raining pretty much non-stop.  I know I'm from Seattle, but I just couldn't do it.

The week after Christmas, I did start exercising, but not running.  3 days of ChaLEAN weight circuits, Burn Intervals, a Turbo Jam workout (bonus on one of my ChaLEAN DVDs), and some Pilates for abs.  I started up running again after New Years'.  (I got the idea from a runner's world article about how to take time off and come back from it.  I planned it all out on the calendar I got from the 'special' RS meeting I got to go to (instead of Sunbeams) called Miracle on the Polar Express.  THAT was an interesting meeting; I would have rather been with my Sunbeams. I felt a little bad about using this calendar, full of VT quotes, for my exercise planning, but the other option was to throw it out.

Since Scott surprised me with a deadline for planning the Caribbean cruise we've been talking about for over a year, my short term goals shifted a little.  1) Keep decent mileage.  2) Maintain/increase lean muscle.  3)  Do as much cardio as I can fit in my schedule, to burn as much body fat as possible.  Ideally all around my middle- Turns out I can be pretty vain : /

For 2 weeks I did 3 days of weights, Burn Intervals, 2 Ab workouts, a little spinning, and 3-4 days of running (14 miles both weeks).  I used spinning to replace my run on the snow day we had.  (I'm not truly a Colorado runner yet, I guess.)  Half way through the second week, I decided two things:
  1. I really don't like ab workouts.  I haven't been consistent on these in the past, and it is probably my weakest area.
  2. I was getting really tight.  It was probably originating in my hamstrings, but I could feel it all the way up my back too.
  3. I may not be able to spin as much as I was hoping.  But, I'm hoping if I back off a bit on the length of my spins, I'll get used to the saddle??
(I also read in Runner's World that 'they' recommend 2 resistance training sessions per week.  That may have been a minimum, but I'm going with it for now.)  So, I decided instead of alternating ab workouts between AbRipperX, Windsor Pilates Ab Sculpting, And Chalene's Extreme Abs, I would just use pilates for my Abs workouts (still 2 times per week).  And I decided to trade one of my weights circuits for a yoga and/or pilates workout.  I think I'll still be able to strengthen my core (wouldn't mind slimming it down a bit too ;) and I'll be able to work on my flexibility too.

Here's the schedule for this week:
MON: 4 miles, Burn Circuit 3
TUES: cardio (not running), abs (pilates)
WED: 5 miles, Push Circuit 1
THURS: Burn Intervals, soak in the bathtub (yes I actually wrote it down on my exercise calendar)
FRI: 6 miles, Abs
SAT: yoga/pilates (haven't decided which one yet), spin 20-30 minutes (depending how my bum feels)

No comments:

Post a Comment